Kedarkantha is quite a fascinating trek – it is easy yet it challenges you. It lies in the Uttarkashi district of Uttarakhand. The Kedarkantha trek distance is 23 kms approximately. Kedarkantha temperature ranges from –10 to 10 degree Celsius during winters and 0 to 15 degrees during summers. The highest altitude on this trek is 12500 feet/ 3810 meters. The best time to go to Kedarkantha is from December to February.
Trek to Kedarkantha begins with the 10-hour drive from Dehradun to Sanskri traversing a distance of 200 km through Mussoorie, Purola, Govind National Park and Netwar. The drive goes by in a jiffy as the view from the window is as mesmerizing as it can get. The open valleys, dense forests amidst the way brings a variety of scenery to wonder at.
On your arrival to Sanskri, you will have your cozy and warm camps to stay for the night. Spend your sunset in bliss here and have a jolly night. Prepare yourself for the beginning of your trek which you will embark on the next day.
Early morning post breakfast you start your trek to Juda Tal or Juda Ka Talao (9000 feet). It will take around 5 hours to reach here, and the ascent gradually becomes steep. As you get nearer to your destination for the day, you will observe tall, lush maple and oak trees. The flowing streams, view of spectacular ranges in the backdrop like Swargarohini is a sight that you will always remember.
On reaching the top at Juda Tal, you will be standing in the midst of a wide meadow with dense forests in one corner and mountain ranges on the other end. At some distance, you may also spot a pretty lake, frozen or not (depending on the weather) Spend a lovely evening here at your campsite!
The next day you set out for the Kedarkantha Base. It is situated at an altitude of 11,500 feet and takes around 2-3 hours to climb up to here. You’ll spot vast meadows and shepherd huts on your way. The climb gets steeper and you will want to take a break and marvel at the beautiful surroundings. Just as you are about to reach your destination for the day, don’t forget to spot the beautiful arc formed by peaks of Bandarpooch, Swargarohini, Kala Nag and Ranglana.
We advise you keep chocolates with you at all times to get that energy boost whenever required. The campsite for today will be colder than the previous one. Carry warm woolens to keep you cozy during the night. You’ll be amazed by the beauty and grandeur of the sky as you look up and gaze at the bright, clear stars, constellations and moon.
The next day, after getting energized from your breakfast, you set out to conquer the Kedarkantha Peak which lies at 12,500 feet. Today will comparatively, a longer day as after climbing up to the peak, you descend back to Kedarkantha base. There are several trails to reach to the top, however, it is best to take the main trail (northern elevation of the summit) as it gets steep gradually. It takes about 2.5 hours to reach Kedarkantha Summit.
The peak is characterized by stones shaped like a Trishul. It is a majestic feeling when you spot this because it reaffirms to you, that you have MADE it! Your days were spent in purpose of reaching this summit while enjoying the journey. Remember the view of the wide arc of the ranges we saw from the Kedarkantha base? Well, you can have a whole 360 degree panoramic view of the ranges of Uttarakhand – Gangotri, Yamunotri, Chanshil Pass, and Kinnaur Kailash ranges.
After spending some time here, you get back to your campsite at Kedarkantha Base and spend your night here like the previous one, only this time you’ll feel much more blissful from the sights of the day.
Today is a fresh day and so will be your outlook. You trace back to Saskri through Hargaon village. When you reach this campsite, you will be welcomed by the Har Ki Dun river valley. The way back to back to Sanskri is easygoing and well defined by a trail of stones. You will also come across apple orchards, and farms of cauliflower and potato. All in all, the sights are heartwarming and wonderful at the least. On reaching Sanskri, you culminate your Kedarkanth trek successfully!
You will be transported back to Dehradun. Relax, unwind and reminisce the time and moments you spent here. They are priceless. We understand if after the completion of this trek, you will want to make the next plan with Tripffee as soon as possible! We’re always here to guide you, make things convenient for you, and make your trips really memorable!
Share your pictures with us and tag us on Instagram Tripffee. We make sure to share exclusive pictures from our clients on our feed! Till the next time! Much travel, much love Team Tripffee~
- 02 Night Homestay / Guest House / Hotel accommodation in Sankri on triple / quad sharing basis.
- 03 Nights tented accommodation on triple sharing basis.
- All Veg Meals from day 1st Dinner to till Day 6th Breakfast.
- Morning – Evening Tea/Coffee with light snacks.
- All fees and Permit (for Indians).
- Basic First Aid Medical kit wit Oxygen cylinder and Oxi meter.
- Crampons if required.
- Camping Logistics.
- Qualified and experienced Trek Leader , Trek Guide and support staff.
- Transport from Dehradun to Sankri and return.
- Meals during transit.
- Any expenses of personal nature.
- Any fees and permits ( for non-Indians).
- Cost Escalation due to natural reason.
- Anything which is not mentioned in above inclusions.
1. Backpack with rain cover. Qty -1
2. Headtorch/Torch with spare Batteries. Qty -1
3. U V protection sunglasses. Qty -1
4. 1 Litre water bottle. Qty -2
1. Non-skid deep treaded hiking shoes Qty -1
2. Pair of light weight Slipper/Sandals Qty -1
1. Quick Dry Warm lower or Track Pants. Qty – 2
2. Full sleeves T-shirts/ Sweatshirts. 1 for every 2 days of trekking
3. Pair of thick woolen socks. 1 pair for every two days of trekking
4. Thermal Body warmer Upper & Lower. Qty-1
5. Undergarments. Qty – 1 for every day of trekking
6. Warm jacket closed at wrist & neck .Qty-1
7. Full sleeves sweater. Qty -1
8. Rain wear ( Jacket & Pants ) . Qty-1
9. Pair of Warm Gloves. Qty-1
10. Woolen cap. Qty-1
11. Sun shielding Cap/Hat. Qty -1
1. Personal toiletries kit (Small Towel, Toilet paper, paper soap, Bar soap, toothbrush,
toothpaste, cold cream etc.).
2. Sun screen lotion small pack . Qty -1
3. Lip Balm small pack. Qty-1
1. Camera (Optional)
2. Carry your medicines in plenty in case you have any specific ailment. Consult your doctor
before joining the trek.
3. Dry fruits, Nuts, Chocolate bars, Energy bars (Optional)
Mandatory Documents To Carry
1. Original and photocopy of government photo identity card- (adhar card, driving license,
voters ID, etc.)
Are trekking shoes mandatory for the trek?
Trekking shoes are usually more comfortable and make your trek easier but are not mandatory. Shoes which provide good grip and high ankle support are important.
What all documents do I need to carry during the trek?
You just need to carry and original ID card and a photograph.
Do we get mobile signals during the trek ?
Usually there are no networks during the trek. You may get intermittent signals at some points.
Are smoking and drinking permitted during the trek?
Smoking and drinking is strictly prohibited at high altitudes for your own good.
Do we require a trekking pole during the trek?
Trekking pole provides you extra support during the treks , it helps you share the weight of the backpack you are carrying. You can carry a trekking pole otherwise you can use a sturdy fallen branch on the trail and use it for support.
What is the source of drinking water during the treks?
Usually you are suggested to carry adequate amount of water with you, but even if your run out of water then natural streams , rivers or water springs are also safe to drink water from.
What kind of food is provided during the trek ?
An all around arranged menu appropriate for high altitude treks. Breakfast fluctuates from bread and butter, semia, poha to sandwiches and cornflakes. Lunch essentially contains roti or puri with sabzi. Dinner is finished with Dal, rice, roti. You may carry nuts , biscuits or energy bars if you wish to.
Can we expect rains during treks ?
Sudden showers are possible as weather can change unexpectedly at high altitudes, always carry a light rain coat or water proof windcheater/poncho.
- ALL INCLUSIVEKedarkantha TrekRs.9,800
- REGION: Uttarakhand
- MAX ALTITUDE: 3,810 metres
- DIFFICULTY: Moderate
- DURATION: 6 days
- TREK DISTANCE: 23 Km
ASK US ANYTHING
GET IN TOUCH WITH OUR TRAVEL EXPERT
For Any Questions Call 9891157557 / 7011546832