HAMPTA PASS TREK
The Hampta Pass Trek is one that is covered over a duration of 4-6 days depending on if you make a wise decision of visiting Chandratal Lake, which we recommend you do. The trek covers an approximate of 26 kilometers spread over multiple days and campsites. The maximum altitude of this trek goes up to 14,100 feet. The best time to visit is from Mid May – October. The weather ranges from pleasant to cold, and one should go prepared for unpredictable climatic conditions. The temperature varies from 12 degrees to 20 degrees during daytime and -6 degrees to 6 degrees during nighttime.
When you’re on the Hampta Pass Trek trail, your foremost thought will be ‘Why didn’t I come here earlier and can I stay here? Perhaps forever?’ Well, that’s what we felt! Offering one of the most amazing panoramically thrilling views of the famous valleys, abundance of nature and variety in terrain. Every new day of the trek brings something fresh for your eyes, and if you go just deep enough, to your life. Your way starts from a 2 hour drive from Manali to Jobra, where you can observe the Kullu Valleys in all its grandeur.
The moderately steeped walk to Chika is much welcomed after a long time of traveling in vehicles. Take in the climate fully. A lush forest path and a hill climb will lead you to your first campsite at Chika, where the Rani river is flowing beautifully beside the meadows. Acclimatize here for to prepare yourself for the coming days. Fill yourself up with enthusiasm and wonder! The trek starts in its full swing the next day on your way to Bhalu Gera, where you’ll be traversing rocks and boulders, waterfalls, and river crossings. A change in the topography keeps the trail exciting and interesting!
Adventure lovers will be astounded to embark on this trail and the majestic Dhauladhar ranges resting in the background will make you believe, you’re indeed in a paradise. Bhalu ka Gera is at an altitude of 11,900 feet providing you with just the perfect topography to lay your tents and rest for the night. Commence on a long journey the next day of 8-9 hours, climbing up a reasonable ascent to the highest point of Hampta Pass (14,100 feet).
The point may be snow clad during the earlier months or covered with occasional patches of snow- depending on the month you visit. Observe and freshen up at the Hampta Village, which gives the pass its name. Look around to sight the Indrasan Peak. Many streams will brighten up your trek on this trail. From here, you’ll make a gradual descend to Shea Goru/Siagoru (12,900 feet) Shea Goru translates to “Cold street” and indeed it is, so you should come prepared for the weather conditions here.
You’ll close your eyes on a tiring day, waiting for the next one – a change of scenery to be experienced! The descend to Chatru, and the marriage between a rocky terrain and glacial beds with the Spiti and Pir Panjal ranges accompanying you throughout. After 4-5 hours, you’ll welcome the Chatru campsite with wide open arms, and why wouldn’t you! A rare green meadow in the midst of a barren rocky landscape, oh, what a sight to see! It’s merges the Hampta, Rohtang and the Lahaul-Spiti Pass.
If the weather is on your side, you’ll be visiting Chandratal lake, also called the Moon Lake. Crystal clear water flowing peacefully between a green landscape on one side and a desert terrain on the other. It’s truly a marvel. You catch the beauty of these mountains in the reflections of the lake! Reach your tents at Chatru back in time for a tranquil night of rest, again going over the wonderful experiences you had that day. Your trek might end here, but your thoughts about life, nature, the universe and your blessings will begin hereon….
Book your trek with us in advance for getting the best deal. We pride ourselves in providing the best experiences and provisions- making life convenient for you, however we can! Share your pictures of Hampta Pass Trek with us and we will feature the exclusive ones on our Instagram Page Tripffee.
Are trekking shoes mandatory for the trek?
Trekking shoes are usually more comfortable and make your trek easier but are not mandatory. Shoes which provide good grip and high ankle support are important.
What all documents do I need to carry during the trek?
You just need to carry and original ID card and a photograph.
Do we get mobile signals during the trek ?
Usually there are no networks during the trek. You may get intermittent signals at some points.
Are smoking and drinking permitted during the trek?
Smoking and drinking is strictly prohibited at high altitudes for your own good.
Do we require a trekking pole during the trek?
Trekking pole provides you extra support during the treks , it helps you share the weight of the backpack you are carrying. You can carry a trekking pole otherwise you can use a sturdy fallen branch on the trail and use it for support.
What is the source of drinking water during the treks?
Usually you are suggested to carry adequate amount of water with you, but even if your run out of water then natural streams , rivers or water springs are also safe to drink water from.
What kind of food is provided during the trek ?
An all around arranged menu appropriate for high altitude treks. Breakfast fluctuates from bread and butter, semia, poha to sandwiches and cornflakes. Lunch essentially contains roti or puri with sabzi. Dinner is finished with Dal, rice, roti. You may carry nuts , biscuits or energy bars if you wish to.
Can we expect rains during treks ?
Sudden showers are possible as weather can change unexpectedly at high altitudes, always carry a light rain coat or water proof windcheater/poncho.
1. Backpack with rain cover. Qty -1
2. Headtorch/Torch with spare Batteries. Qty -1
3. U V protection sunglasses. Qty -1
4. 1 Litre water bottle. Qty -2
1. Non-skid deep treaded hiking shoes Qty -1
2. Pair of light weight Slipper/Sandals Qty -1
1. Quick Dry Warm lower or Track Pants. Qty – 2
2. Full sleeves T-shirts/ Sweatshirts. 1 for every 2 days of trekking
3. Pair of thick woolen socks. 1 pair for every two days of trekking
4. Thermal Body warmer Upper & Lower. Qty-1
5. Undergarments. Qty – 1 for every day of trekking
6. Warm jacket closed at wrist & neck .Qty-1
7. Full sleeves sweater. Qty -1
8. Rain wear ( Jacket & Pants ) . Qty-1
9. Pair of Warm Gloves. Qty-1
10. Woolen cap. Qty-1
11. Sun shielding Cap/Hat. Qty -1
1. Personal toiletries kit (Small Towel, Toilet paper, paper soap, Bar soap, toothbrush,
toothpaste, cold cream etc.).
2. Sun screen lotion small pack . Qty -1
3. Lip Balm small pack. Qty-1
1. Camera (Optional)
2. Carry your medicines in plenty in case you have any specific ailment. Consult your doctor
before joining the trek.
3. Dry fruits, Nuts, Chocolate bars, Energy bars (Optional)
Mandatory Documents To Carry
1. Original and photocopy of government photo identity card- (adhar card, driving license,
voters ID, etc.)
- 04 Night Tented Accommodation on triple sharing basis
- All Veg Meals from Breakfast on 2nd Day to Breakfast on Day 6th.
- Morning, evening tea served with light snacks while on Trek.
- All fees and permits for Indians are included.
- Basic First Aid Medical kits with Oxygen cylinder and Oxi Meter.
- Qualified and experienced Leader and support staff.
- All surface transfers from Manali – Manali (As per the Itinerary).
- Any Meals During Transit.
- Fees and permit for Non Indian Residence are excluded.
- Porter/mule charges to carry your personal bag
- Anything not mentioned explicitly in the above program.
- Any expenses of personal nature.
- Cost Escalation due to "Force Majeure" and evacuation charges.
- Plus 5% GSTHampta Pass TrekRs.9,500
- REGION: Himachal Pradesh
- MAX ALTITUDE: 4,270 metres
- DIFFICULTY: Moderate
- DURATION: 5 days
- TREK DISTANCE: 35 Km
till we reach the camp-site at Chatru. Chatru is a confluence point of paths from Rohtang Pass, Hamta Pass and Spiti. We can have an opportunity to visit Chandra Taal and come back to camp at Chatru, if the road and weather conditions permit because the road to Chandra Taal is closed at times due to landslides or snow. In case the road is found closed the Chandra Taal drive will not be done and camp at Chatru campsite.